Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Eurotrip 2017: Marvelous Maastricht


I left Brussels for Maastricht early Sunday evening. The train was calm and comfortable, giving me enough time to read a bit and enjoy the darkening view outside the window. And during our one 3 minute stopover--luckily I remembered JUST enough French to understand what platform I needed to get to for before my next train took off. Three cheers for language learning!  

Upon arrival there were a few brief minutes of confusion where I attempted to get wifi to reach Jessica, found out I was one station off (I'd gotten off at the university hospital instead of Maastricht central--OOPS!) and then waited a bit for her to come find me so we could walk back to her flat. But getting to see Jessi was PHENOMENAL. 

Just so you all have a bit of background, during my first year at UVA, Jessica stayed with my family as an exchange student. Given that she ended up staying in my room for those 7 months we always joked that she had replaced me in mi familia. Luckily, rather than actually replacing me, she just added on to our family. Plus, she's German and goodness knows I'm all about getting to use my Deutsch whenever possible :)

That evening on the way back to her flat, we wandered through the old city of Maastricht. It's a university town, so lots of bars, restaurants and shops intermixed with the buildings that have stood through centuries. Plus the holiday season just passed so it was a gorgeous night of lights glimmering over the quietly moving city.

Jessi making dinner for the two of us :)

The next day after getting to sleep in a bit, Jessi showed me around her city. From the old town wall, to other more recent school buildings. In between we grabbed a small lunch with some of her friends where I got to try Bitterballen which is a Dutch favorite--just don't ask what's in them. No one knows. Afterwards we all decided a waffle was in order, before we all parted ways.
Bitterballen
The building behind the little pergola is where they signed the paper to create the EU. --obviously I didn't deem that as important or pretty as the churches behind it.
They made sure to keep his jaw in case anyone questioned whether or not he was real.

WOOF. What a sad, blurry, last picture. But This is where I finally headed off that evening to make my way to Anne in Amsterdam!

So, more fun stories to come!

















No comments:

Post a Comment